As a cover supervisor in a secondary school, your main job is to manage a classroom in the absence of the usual class teacher and ensure pupils complete their work. You may also be required to manage the classroom if pupils are disruptive, discuss their work and help pupils understand the work if they have any questions.
Working as a cover supervisor can be the perfect way for you to gain flexible, part-time work or the opportunity to gain professional work experience if you’re a recent graduate. Sound interesting? Below are a few more benefits of the job.
Benefits of the job
- It’s a great opportunity for you to gain valuable classroom experience, even before you’ve gained your QTS (qualified teacher status).
- No two days will ever be the same and there is plenty of variety in the job.
- It will enable you to experience different types of schools, in a number of locations.
- If you’re thinking a career in teaching could be for you, it can help you pick up new teaching methods, techniques and lesson ideas.
- Great way to network and build rapport with a number of teachers and schools.
- It’s completely up to you how often and when you want to work. As these roles are normally not permanent positions, there allows for plenty of flexibility to fit around you and no full-time commitment.
- A competitive daily rate of pay paid to you via our twice-weekly payroll.
- You do not have as many responsibilities as qualified teachers, as you won’t be marking work, planning lessons or preparing any activities – all this is ready for you when you get to each class.
- And finally, one of the biggest benefits of the job is what you can get from the pupils, Vani put it perfectly in her day in the life of a cover supervisor: “make sure you also enjoy your time with the pupils – you’ll be surprised how much you can learn from them!”
Find out more
Have you caught up with the rest of the blogs in our cover supervisor series? Throughout May we’ve discussed how working as a cover supervisor can help you get into teaching or how it can be the perfect graduate job to help you gain professional work experience and we sat down with Vani to gain her perspective on a day in the life of a cover supervisor.
Interested in finding out more? Check out all of our latest jobs or get in touch with the team today.