Starting work in the UK as an AHP or HSS professional is an exciting prospect, with the UK having one of the world’s best healthcare systems, a variety of NHS and private hospitals to choose from and a great working environment. There’s an increasing demand for healthcare professionals in the UK, including AHP and HSS and we’re here to help you find your first UK healthcare job.

Athona’s expert recruitment team have contracts with hospitals in the private sector and NHS across the whole UK, with vacancies in all specialties including psychology, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy.

Finding a job in a new country can be overwhelming, but we’re here to support and guide you through the process, including help with your CV, setting up Skype interviews and assistance with HCPC registration.

HCPC registration

Before you can practice in the UK, you’ll need to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), when you apply for HCPC registration you’ll need to provide:

  • Personal contact details, including proof of address
  • Details of training and qualification, including a certified copy of your original certificate and a certified copy translated in English
  • Course content information, including details of the practical and theoretical content so that the HCPC can confirm it is in line with UK standards. This form must be stamped by the university or training centre and include contact details for the course administrator
  • Detailed professional experience and reference, including an explanation for gaps of more than six months
  • Membership or registration with a professional or regulatory body
  • English language test certificate

When making your application, you’ll need to pay a fee of £495 before your application is processed. If you’re approved for registration, a further registration fee will be payable and the HCPC will advise you of this when your application has been approved.

Full details can be found on the HCPC website.

English language testing

If English is not your first language or you completed your professional qualification in a language other than English, you’ll need to take and English language test. The most commonly used is the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

To become HCPC registered, you’ll need to achieve at least a 7.0, with all of the individual scores for speaking, listening, writing or reading scoring at least 6.5. However, the requirement for speech and language therapists (SaLT) is higher and an overall score of 8.0 is required and all individual scores should be at least 7.5.

Over the years we’ve found that passing the English language test can be one of the lengthiest stages, and can delay your registration, so we recommend that you start this stage as soon as you can.

It’s important to remember that if you’re going to use your IELTS test as part of your visa application, you’ll need to register to take the IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) exam.

Ready to get started? Send over your CV or browse some of our latest permanent roles.