Your Revalidation Toolkit
Why do I have to go through revalidation?
Revalidation is the process by which licensed doctors demonstrate to the General Medical Council (GMC), on a regular basis, that they’re fit to practise as a medical practitioner. They do this by keeping up-to-date within their field of medical knowledge, engaging in regular Continuing Professional Development (CPD), and complying with their employer’s requirements.
It’s a mandatory process designed to protect both patients and yourself. Doctors are required to revalidate every five years.
What’s in it for me?
You cannot maintain your licence to practise with the GMC in the UK without it and without a GMC licence, you cannot work.
By engaging in the process with us, you’ll be offered the best job opportunities with the highest levels of pay.
Let’s start with the basics. What’s involved?
- You must begin working with Athona to connect to us for the purposes of revalidation.
- When you log on to your GMC account, you’ll be asked to select a designated body for revalidation – that’s Athona. Alternatively, if you give us permission, we can do this for you.
- You prepare for, and participate in, an annual appraisal with us as your employer. (NHS Trusts now require evidence of completion of the appraisal process when considering doctors for work.)
- You also have to collect feedback from colleagues and patients once every three years.
- The GMC will contact your Responsible Officer (RO) four months before your revalidation is due – Athona’s RO is the highly respected and influential Mr Fahed Youssef MD FRCS.
- Mr Youssef will review all your paperwork and make a recommendation on your behalf to the GMC for your revalidation. This paperwork includes current and previous appraisals, patient and colleague feedback, achievement of your Personal Development Plan (PDP), etc.
Do I have to do any preparation for my annual appraisal?
Yes. You need to have a portfolio prepared, which should include:
- A list of posts undertaken, including exact dates;
- Colleague and patient feedback, assessment forms and any letters from patients;
- Exit reports and references;
- Incident reports and complaints;
- CPD/CME activities: courses, conferences, meeting, training, research, teaching, audits etc;
- Log book and verified record of clinical activities;
- PDP proposals for the coming year.
Sounds like a lot of work. How does Athona help me with this?
We’ll guide you through the whole process, discuss your current situation and tailor a plan to suit your needs. You’ll get one-to-one support from a very experienced and dedicated team, which will ensure your appraisal meets the Framework for Quality Assurance standards that the GMC and NHS England require.
We provide you with an online appraisal portfolio enabling you to access your appraisal preparation anywhere, anytime. We recommend using it regularly to reflect on courses attended – you could even take a photo of your certificate and upload it there and then – or perhaps add some reflections after dealing with a difficult case on your way home on the train.
We will guide you through, step by step, to prepare your evidence, gather 360 multi-source feedback, add case-based discussions, and reflect adequately. Then we’ll arrange your face-to-face appraisal with an experienced, quality assured appraiser in a private location at a time convenient to you. During the appraisal, you’ll agree a new Personal Development Plan for the coming year and the appraisal will be sent for pre-approval to revalidation recommendation standards by our RO so that every year, you know you have met or exceeded the standards.
In the four months leading up to your revalidation date, we work closely with you to ensure your portfolio is complete.
What happens then?
The RO will review all evidence and you’ll receive confirmation of your revalidation recommendation directly from the GMC.
Why should I use Athona?
We have an exceptionally low deferral rate (ie revalidation dates extended).
We’ve revalidated more than 140 doctors in this appraisal year alone, meaning they can continue to practise.
We use PrepIT – the most popular and user-friendly appraisal portal in the market, streamlining the preparation process for you.
We’re highly skilled and trained experts in the field with a proven track record.
We’ll simplify the process for you.
What’s the process if I’m an overseas doctor coming to work in the UK?
We have a dedicated service to deal with overseas doctors’ appraisal and revalidation, ensure that all practice is taken into consideration. Contact us to find out more.
How do I find out more?
Talk to a member of our revalidation support team by emailing email@example.com or speak to them directly on 01277 217777.