This week on Channel 4 we followed the journey of aspiring non-EU doctors through their journey to practice in the UK on the TV programme ‘The Foreign Doctors Are Coming.’ The NHS has experienced a shortage of doctors in recent years and non-EU doctors are now stepping in to close the gap.
A quick scroll through Twitter suggests that many were surprised that doctors were tested on their empathy and patient care to pass the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) tests – which is needed to obtain a GMC licence to practise. If you’re not familiar with the PLAB tests, there are two parts; the first is a written exam with a number of multiple choice questions, and part two is a practical exam featuring 18 mock-up scenarios each lasting eight minutes.
Although the process of moving to the UK may seem daunting, working in a country with a world-class healthcare service also has many benefits to your medical career. Our dedicated international recruitment team are on-hand to help and provide guidance including:
- Support through GMC registration
- Guidance in completing a language skills testing (IELTS, PLAB or OET if you live outside the EU)
- Access to the best permanent positions in the market across NHS Trusts and the private sector as we are a multi-framework agency working and have Tier 1 and Master Vendor Agreements with many NHS Trusts
- Whether you want to live in fast-paced city or the countryside, we can find you a job anywhere in the UK
- Great rates of pay and access to some of the best training and development in the world
Are you thinking of relocating to the UK to practice medicine? Our dedicated and experienced team of international recruitment consultants can support and guide you through the process.
Call +44 (0)1277 217777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to the team about your options.