Are you looking for a new direction in 2022? Something that is flexible and works around your lifestyle? Locum work allows you to travel, explore different Trusts and work with diverse groups of people – all whilst setting your own schedule and working around other commitments.
Think working as a locum surgeon could be for you? Then keep reading to find out more…
The perks of locum surgeon work:
- You can often achiever higher rates of pay
- You’re able to work in a variety of departments and hospitals
- Better work-life balance
- Travelling and working in different locations
- Gain different experiences and get a feel for a variety of roles
Why are locums needed?
There are numerous reasons as to why locum doctors may be needed, which can include:
- Illness of permanent doctors – a locum will fill a last minute gap in the team
- High demand – every year winter pressures means more demand for healthcare worker, but the coronavirus pandemic has seen further increase in demand over the last couple of years
- Maternity cover – there might be a maternity position that needs covering
What surgery specialities are in demand in the UK?
As a popular choice for doctors, there is always a demand for surgery doctors by hospitals. Especially right now for these sub-specialties:
- Plastic surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
Thinking of becoming a locum surgeon through Athona? Make sure to take a look at our current vacancies here