Within health and social care there are over 350 careers, varying from surgeons, mental health nurses to social workers. Making it hard to know which profession suits your skillset best or if there is even a high demand for it right now. Here we’ve put together a list of current in demand healthcare jobs and the skills and qualifications you need to get started.

In demand health and social care professions in the UK:

Mental Health Professionals:

Mental health professionals work in varying capacities regarding a patients’ mental health. From diagnosis, treatment to offering ongoing support to the patient and their family.

To start a career in mental health, you will need to have obtained an undergraduate degree with some relation to health and/or psychology. For example, a nursing degree does not allow you to specialise in mental health, but you are able to complete this as a postgraduate course. You will then spend time working within a mental health setting, after which you can choose a specific discipline.

Registered Nurse (RN):

These nurses work throughout the healthcare system with patients that have varying illnesses. The role of an RN is to create care plans for patients and ensure these are taking place.

To start your career as a registered nurse you will need to study a nursing degree which can also be done through an apprenticeship route. Once you have completed our degree, you will need to ensure you are registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NCM) and then we can help you get out to work.

General Practitioner (GP):

A general practitioner is a medical professional who treats all common medical conditions. They also can make referrals to specialists and other medical services where urgent and specialist treatment is needed.

To become a GP, you must complete 4-6 years of medical school to graduate with a medical degree. After this time, you must then undergo a two year foundation training program and then register with the General Medical Council (GMC).

Occupational Therapists (OT):

The general role of an OT is to help those with difficulties carrying out day to day activities due to disability, illness, trauma, ageing, and a range of long-term conditions.

To become an OT within the UK you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). To be registered, you must have completed an undergraduate degree in Occupational Therapy.

Social Care Worker:

A social care worker is someone who gives both practical and emotional support to both individuals and families within the community.

To start a career in social care work, you will need to complete an approve degree or postgraduate program by Social Work England. After completely your degree/postgraduate diploma, you will need to register with Social Work England.

We have a variety of temporary and permanent roles available, so why not have a look here? Or if you would rather, you can simply register your CV and we’ll be in touch to help you find the perfect job for you.